To convert pretty much any recipe that you can make in the oven –
Slow Cooker Time
Slow Cooker Time
|15 to 30 mins||4 to 6 hours||2 to 3 hours|
|35 to 45 mins||6 to 8 hours||3 to 4 hours|
|50 mins. to 3 hrs||8 to 10 hours||
4 to 6 hours
More Tips when going from stovetop to crockpot:
- Reduce the amount of liquid the recipe calls for by about half. The slow cooking process will produce more liquid that wonâ€™t get boiled away.
- If the recipe does not include liquid or sauce of any kind, you should add 1/2 cup of water because moisture is needed to produce steam for the slow cooker to reach the appropriate cooking temperatures.
- Brown the meat before adding to the slow cooker.
- If the recipe calls for vegetables, be sure to cut them into consistent size pieces and layer on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- More delicate vegetables, such as tomatoes, peppers, peas, and summer squash should be added towards the end of the cooking time.
- Recipes for soup and stew containing milk, cheese, or other dairy products, should have these ingredients added in the last 30 to 60 minutes of cooking time.
- To avoid rice and pasta from becoming sticky, cook them on the stovetop and add in at the end of the cooking time just long enough to be heated through.
- At the end of cooking, if there seems to be too much liquid, remove the lid and turn the pot up to high, allowing some of the water to cook out.
- If youâ€™d like to thicken or enrich the sauce, stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese, or a mixture of cornstarch and cold water.
Almost any recipe that bakes in the oven or simmers on the stovetop can be converted for your crockpot. Give some of your favorites a try! Let me know how they turn out! 🙂