Definitely restaurant quality food at home! This is a favorite at our house. The hardest part of this dish is getting everything cut up and in the marinade. When you’re ready to eat, cooking takes only minutes.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus a few drops for
- sprinkling on the avocado
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 8 flour tortillas
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 ripe avocado, thinly sliced and sprinkled with a few
drops of lime juice to prevent browning
1-1/2 cups Salsa Fresca (that means fresh),
Wash and dry the chicken breasts and trim off any fat. Cut the chicken breasts across the grain into 1/4-inch slices. In a non-metal mixing bowl combine the lime juice, garlic, chili powder, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix. Stir in the chicken and vegetables (except avocado) and marinate for at least 1 hour.
Grill the chicken and vegetables on a grill pan, or stir fry in a skillet over medium high heat until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender (not mushy).
Just before serving, warm the tortillas until soft and pliable and place them in a napkin-lined bread basket. just heat them for a few seconds on each side on a hot griddle.
Place the tomato, avocado, and salsa in serving bowls.
To serve the fajitas, have each guest place a heaping spoonful of grilled chicken and vegetables on a tortilla. Spoon the tomato, avocado, and salsa on top and roll or fold the tortilla into a neat bundle for eating.
Suggested side dishes –
Another tough one, ey? 😉