keep your pets safe through the holidays

Some things around the holidays can be very harmful – even fatal for your pets.


Eating tinsel can cause choking, and it’s not fun to clean up after. While eating ribbon is not necessarily toxic – (though they could choke), it’s also a real pain to clean up after. I’ve had to resort to stick on bows. No more curling ribbon in this house!


Eating pieces of broken ornaments can cause cuts and bleeding.


Poinsettia, holly, and mistletoe can cause stomach upsets. If they are drooling, vomiting, or have diarrhea, get them to the vet.

Depending on the size of the dog and how much Chocolate they eat, chocolate can cause a caffeine-like overdose which may lead to high heart rate, agitation, tremors, or seizures. 

Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney disease. If your dog is lethargic, not eating, or vomiting – get them to the vet.

Macadamia nuts can make them extremely sick, but it goes away in a day or two. They may be weak or unstable, vomiting, or have pale mucous membranes.

Onions can cause a type of anemia that causes the red blood cells to rupture. They may not get sick for a couple of days after eating onions.

Bread dough can expand inside your pet causing extreme pain, poisoning, and kidney failure.

Peelings from fruits (including tomatoes) or potatoes can cause stomach upsets. Do not give your pet any green peelings from fruits or potatoes. They can eat green vegetables though. My dog loves broccoli.

 Remember that table food is generally not good for your pets. This time of year it seems so caring to feed your pet some extra treats in the form of scraps. But it’s best not to feed them something they don’t normally eat. The extra hub-bub is already stressful for them. Keeping your pets healthy is the most caring thing you can do.



a.k.a. – ‘Mother’

1 thought on “keep your pets safe through the holidays

Comments are closed.