If you plan to try to lose weight this year, there are 10 things that can derail your results. Avoiding these mistakes will help you lose weight safely, and keep it off for life.
1. The number one mistake is Dieting. Believing that you need some magic diet, plan, pill, or weird foods to lose weight. Starving yourself, depriving yourself – none of that works. You can lose weight easily when you learn how to eat right.
2. Falling for dangerous fad diets that cause sometimes long term health problems, or relying on “diet” foods that are full of corn syrup. Read those labels!
3. Not eating enough. Many people pride themselves on not eating a day, and then stuffing themselves silly at the evening meal because – ‘they haven’t eaten all day.’ First, your body has a natural protection mechanism to keep from starving. If enough food is not coming in, this defense mechanism kicks in building up fat for you to live on. The second problem is taking in all of your calories when you are least likely to do much to burn them off. You need to eat 3 meals, and 2 snacks a day to keep your metabolism burning.
4. Not taking enough time to relax, which results in stress eating. Stress also affects how your body works.
5. Not drinking enough water to keep your system flushed, and organs and skin hydrated. Think of a dry sponge. It doesn’t work very well. That’s what you’re doing to your body when you don’t drink enough water.
6. Not eating enough protein to build muscle instead of fat.
7. Not eating at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day to give your body the super powers it needs to make you look and feel great. Even if you change nothing else about the way you eat, and just add more fruits and vegetables, you will see improvement in the way you look and feel – and you will lose a couple of pounds.
8. Not getting enough sleep to let your body repair itself. What happens when you’re tired? Your body craves more sugar for energy.
9. Not getting enough exercise to keep all those joints and muscles working smoothly (heart and lungs are muscles too) and keep your metabolism burning.
10. Filling up on foods with no vitamins. You’ll always be tired and hungry until you give your body what it’s asking for. Eat some fresh fruits or vegetables with every meal and you’ll cut your cravings.